In the garden one of the most popular root crops is beets, with which even a beginner summer resident can cope. This vegetable is used in many dishes. It contains vitamins and other useful elements not only in the root, but also in the leaves, which the store does not purchase.
To grow a vegetable in the country you need to know the secrets of fruitful farming, to love the plant and care for it properly.
How to get a good harvest of beets in the country or garden
Beetroot is a cold-resistant and unpretentious culture. In comparison with other vegetables, its cultivation does not cause trouble. But although the agrotechnology of cultivation is simple, it does not mean that it is enough to sow the seeds in the ground and get excellent results.
To avoid reducing the quality and quantity of the crop, there are a number of nuances that are worth considering:
- good lighting and drainage plot;
- neutral acidity ground;
- composting in the preparation of the soil before sowing;
- preliminary soaking of seeds for disinfection and acceleration of germination;
- warm soil for sowing, to avoid the release of arrows;
- sowing in the period when there are significant reserves of moisture in the soil;
- respect for the depth of seed placement and the distance between the rows;
- at least two times thinning;
- timeliness of weeding and watering;
- fertilizing with mineral fertilizers and microelements.
Sowing beets can not be carried out after small seeds crops (beets, carrots, dill) and cruciferous (cabbage). Good forerunners will be representatives of solanaceous and pumpkin crops (cucumber, potatoes, tomato), then the vegetable will grow well.
Agrotechnology sowing and cultivation
Sowing beets is carried out in two ways: the most common - is sowing seeds in open ground, and the second involves the forcing of seedlings.
Any crop has a certain growing season, the determining factor of which is the variety. For example, if a medium beet is planted, it will be necessary to wait 100 days before harvesting. Countdown is underway since the emergence of shoots.
Sowing seeds in open ground
Beetroot is a culture resistant to cold, but it is sown before the air temperature reaches 6-8 degreesnot worth it. This will eliminate the coincidence of the timing of emergence of shoots and return frost, in which the plant is shot to the detriment of increasing the mass of the root.Sowing beet seeds in the ground
Recommended steps when sowing seeds:
- To accelerate the germination of seeds they are placed for 24 hours in the cold or kept for half an hour in warm water.
- Seeding is done to depth. up to 4cm.
- The width of the aisle depends on the variety and ambitions of the gardener: when cultivating small vegetables, it is enough to leave 7 cm, and for large distance 30 cm.
- The distance between the roots in a row for small copies is 6 cmfor large - 10 cm.
When sowing germinated seeds, sprouts may appear after three days, and in the case of dry seed, after a week.
If after sowing no care measures are taken and the air has not yet warmed up, the emergence of shoots is noted after a two-week interval.
Planting beet seedlings
There is a seedling method of planting the root, which will be an excellent option for those who are not eager to further thin out the beds. Preparation of seedlings begin in advance - a month before the planned landing in open ground.Beet seedlings are planted in the ground after the appearance of 4 leaves
To use this method, you should take the following steps:
- In the mini-greenhouse make grooves with distance in 5 cm.
- Place the seeds in them with a distance of 3 cm.
- Moisten the soil well.
- After the emergence of sprouts is to ventilate the greenhouse, hardening seedlings.
- When the shoots formed four leaves, you need to plant seedlings at a permanent place of growth, adhering to the scheme of sowing seeds in open ground.
The friendly appearance of sprouts will require the gardener to take care of the culture.
Weeding and loosening
Simultaneously with the first shoots will begin growth and weed vegetation. Weed control should be carried out regularly to ensure that nutrients in the soil remain for root growth.
At the same time should be carried out loosening between the rows after rain or watering to ensure air access to the root.Be sure to loosening in the aisle and weed control
When the plant is formed third sheetshould thin out the seedlings for the first time. When appearing fifth sheet beet crops will need re-pulling.
As a result of the first procedure, the distance between shoots will become 4 cmafter the second 6-10 cm. Sprouts that are removed after the formation of two pairs of leaves can be planted in a free area, and they will take root.
During the period of intensive growth, when a root crop is formed, soil moistening is very important. Watering should be systematic and abundant - once a week under normal weather conditions.
Introduction of macro- and micronutrients
Feed root vegetable saltpeter worth caution. This culture has the ability to accumulate nitrogen at the root, the consumption of which in food can adversely affect health. If the gardener is convinced of the lack of this macro element, then two additional feedings will suffice for the entire growing season.
Potash phosphate fertilizers better to make with watering two weeks after sowing. To improve the quality and quantity of the crop, foliar fertilizing should be carried out with such trace elements as boron, manganese and calcium.
Pest and disease protectionTo combat diseases and pests, beet bushes are treated with fungicides
The lack of trace elements, the presence of fungal infections and pathogenic microorganisms in the soil can lead to a number of diseases: fomoz, peronosporoz, decay, root and other. And also beets are often affected by various pests.
The main protective measures include: crop rotationtimely weed removal near the culture, treatment with insecticidal fungicidal action.
Secrets of bountiful harvest
Experienced gardeners, not the first year receiving a good harvest, advise:
- Sow the seeds as soon as earrings appear on the aspen, then you should not be afraid of frost.
- To eat fresh vegetables in June, sow beets at the end of October.
- To ensure a stable harvest from the beginning of the summer and throughout the year, sow varieties with different ripening terms and qualities.
- To increase the sugar content of the root, make a saline solution at the rate of a teaspoon of salt in a bucket of water.
- To reduce the acidity of the soil, add lime when preparing the beds for sowing.
So, many garden owners grow beets, but not all of them are happy with the result. Compliance with the simple rules of cultivation of root crops will allow even an inexperienced summer resident to achieve a good harvest.