Today, an increasing number of gardeners are switching to natural farming, completely ignoring mineral fertilizer compounds. In this case, the use of green manure is considered the most significant way to improve the quality of the soil. But their thoughtless use for tomatoes can not only be useful, but also harm, reducing crop yields.
What is green manures and their landing rules
This is the name of certain species of annual plants, which are sown on the site before planting or after harvesting of crops. improve soil composition and structure.
The root system creates tubules in the soil, which improves drainage. Roots become food for microorganisms, further activating their activities. Dense green manure protects the soil from drying out and winding.
Gardeners do not recommend growing tomatoes in a permanent place. The land in the beds is depleted, yields are decreasing. To improve the soil, it is recommended to plant siderats.
Sowing can be done in early spring or autumn. It all depends on how you plan to grow the main crop - in unprotected soil or in greenhouse conditions.Cut siderata are great as mulch for tomato
If planting sideratov to carry out in the fall, then next year on these beds again allowed to plant tomato seedlings.
Advantages and disadvantages
Some gardeners are afraid to use sideratami, fearing that the plants will clog all the beds. But this opinion is erroneous, because such plants need a lot of time for full ripening of seeds. They do not have time to do this, as they fall under cleaning long before the formation of seed material - during its flowering period.
The main features of such plants include the following features:
- create excellent protection against wind influences;
- saturate the soil with useful elements, increase the percentage of biological mass;
- retain water;
- loosen the soil, prevent erosion;
- impede the growth of weedswhich is quite difficult to overtake plants and break through to sunlight;
- part of plants scares off harmful parasites, protects cultures from certain diseases. For example, mustard is advised to be planted with scab, and radish is excellent help from nematodes. Many sideratnye plants simply become bait for pests, distracting them from crops.
It should be noted that there are a number of negative points:
- there is a group of perennial sideratov who are able to germinate again and spoil your plantings;
- Do not overdo it with herbal fertilizers. If they form seeds or the stems become dense, it will be very difficult to get rid of sideratov. This is best done during flowering.
Plan for sowing and care of green manure for tomatoes
Most sideratov landed on a common technology. The soil in the beds should be cleared of weeds, slightly loosened and leveled. You can sow in rows, but many prefer to do so. in bulk. If there are no necessary skills, then evenness of sowing can be achieved by mixing the seed material with sawdust or sand in equal proportions.
It will be better if the bedding is rolled - this will give an opportunity to achieve uniform shoots. To protect the beds from birds, they can be covered with non-woven materials until sprouts appear.
Combining different green plants for tomato
There is no need to sow one plant throughout the garden. By combining herbal and cereal varieties, you can render a complex effect on the soilexcellent to fertilize her.Ready mix of plants
As a rule, for this purpose, ready-made mixtures containing seeds are used:
- marigolds, etc.
Planting in shady areas
On such beds, siderats build up an excellent green mass, as they are actively drawn to sunlight. Cutting off the stems, they can be easily transferred to tomato beds, using in the form of compost.
best of all in the shade to land vetch, phacelia, oily radish, mustard.
Important rules for growing
Under tomato crops, green plants must be planted, observing a number of requirements:
- Tomato seedlings should not be planted after fertilizer grass, which belongs to the same family with tomatoes;
- sowing should be carried out as thick as possible;
- "fertilizer" alternate annually;
- overhead part of the sideratov cut off before they mature.
The best green mans for tomatoes
As a rule, preference is given to the following plants:
- vegetable peas - after it a lot of phosphorus and nitrogen accumulate in the soil;
- fodder beans - great for heavy clay areas, considered to be a source of nitrogen;
- alfalfa - possesses powerful roots, the length of which reaches three meters, significantly increases the content of nitrogen and phosphorus in the soil composition, perfectly looses the beds;
- lupine - one of the best plants for depleted sandy areas;
- white mustard - drowns weeds, protects against wireworms;
- phacelia - suppresses weeds, the smell of its nectar attracts entomophages, which destroy harmful parasites.
- Vegetable Peas
- Broad bean
- Alfalfa planting
- White mustard
Unfortunately, the cultivation of green fertilizers is an effective way, but it requires additional time and effort.
Fans of organic farming practices recommend biological products, able to quickly and with good quality to enrich the beds with useful components without planting siderat. The raw material for this may be food waste that does not contain meat residues. Add and cut grass, weeds, not yet having seeds, small twigs.
Recycled waste will allow you to save on the purchase of seeds and does not require much time to use.
This is how many gardeners maintain the fertility of the beds in the ground and in the greenhouse. It should only sow the plants and then close up their green mass into the soil. If you use these recommendations, you can independently enrich the beds under tomato seedlings with useful elements.